Sunday, January 26, 2014

Day 13: Janux no longer working in Safari?

So, I thought I would give Safari a try this morning since I never really figured out which browser was best overall... but apparently Safari doesn't work anymore at all. I logged in, and was able to navigate through a couple of screens, but my Interpretation essay seems to have disappeared. Screenshot:


That is, the browser knows my essay is there (I can click on the link in the discussion list and go there), but the screen is all white where the essay should be.

So, I pressed refresh. That made the screen go all grey, and now I cannot navigate to anything anywhere - there is no functioning link or button of any kind on the page. Screenshot:


So I pressed refresh again. I got the little green loading man. And it's loading. And loading. And loading.


And still loading. So I'll try refresh again. Still just the little green guy loading. Since the only address I see in the browser address bar is https://janux.ou.edu I cannot try forcing it back to the home page or anything. So, I give up on Safari for today.

Let's try Chrome. Okay, I'm in. Recent Activity still broken on my profile page (last activity showing is January 19).  No comment on my Week 2 Essay (and no reply to the comment I left for the only other person who did an essay), and no comment on my Week 2 Resource (and no reply to the comment I left for the only other person who did a resource). No other essays for me to read and comment on, and no other resources.

From the "recent activity" stream for everyone (which does seem to include comments and replies, because I see our valiant T.A. replying to people's Introductions from back in Week 1), I noticed that someone whose name I don't recognize posted this comment: "My previous thoughts and notions of previous historians and explorers have been reinforced these past two weeks. Like I stated, I have always greatly admired these beginning scientists' bravery, but throughout this short time we have been in class by admiration has TREMENDOUSLY grown because of the new knowledge and information I am learning about them. Learning the specific details of their discovers, inventions, and processes to achieve these has already changed my perspective. History is certainly transformative and the more I learn about it, the more transformed I become----I look forward to the transformations this semester will bring!​"

Wow, that's some enthusiasm! I haven't seen any other contributions by this person so far. This person's recent activity consists of "so-and-so joined NextThought January 13 2014," and nothing else, but of course we know Recent Activity is broken, so that means nothing - her comment is listed in the recent activity stream for "everyone," but does not show up on the recent activity stream for her profile. What is "recent activity" supposed to be I wonder...? I am glad this other person is having such a transformative experience, and I would have enjoyed reading her posts about that. I checked the "about" part of her profile and found only this: "Empty Profile :( This user has not filled out their profile." So much for social.

But now I really am wondering what is going on: it sounds like this person is participating in the class, although I have seen none of this person's contributions anywhere, so I cannot comment on them (not that the person would ever know I commented...). Am I just somehow not seeing the things that people post? Oh wait, I think I get it: this person is probably a student in the for-credit class, and somehow this post ended up over in our not-for-credit area. I know it is possible for them to get here because the only other student who posted an essay and resource for Week 2 here in the not-for-credit section is actually a for-credit student who is cross-posting on purpose. So I'm guessing this person ended up over here by accident somehow, and maybe things really are going great over in the for-credit version of the class.

Anyway, I really do have to decide what to do this weekend, since this frustration is just not worth it. I guess I'll check back tomorrow one more time to see if anything happened in the essay or resource areas for Week 2. If there are no new essays or resources to read and/or no replies on my essay and resource, I'm going to stop wasting my time here and just read the books for class plus some more books in the history of science. And collecting more Latin sundials of course! As this Victorian sundial warns us, there is no time to waste: TEMPUS EDAX RERUM, "Time is the devourer of things."





No comments:

Post a Comment