Thursday, January 16, 2014

Week 1 Notes: Stonehenge (video transcript)

Oh, now I really do feel bad to not see the video: in the transcript, Kerry is describing one of my very favorite mythology topics of all time: the stories of the constellations!!! I would love to see the book pages he is describing in the video.

New word for the day: orrery.

(Meanwhile, as I take these notes, nothing is happening; the video has timed out completely I guess.)

Reading about the use of Stonehenge megaliths as a kind of armillary sphere to measure celestial motion, I wonder if we will also discuss sun dials in this course, a MUCH beloved topic of mine because of the beautiful literature of sun dial inscriptions!!!

I also realize with great pleasure how the Latin I have studied for so many years is a ticket to delightful places, because Chorea Gigantum just makes me smile! I am glad to make myself available as a Latin reference person for the class... if there were a practical way to do something like that!

And as the transcript ends with this question - What stories do you want to hear and tell about Stonehenge? - I realize that while on the one hand Kerry's class and my own class are so different, TRULY different (I am not a scientist and I do not teach scientist), on the spectrum of storytelling, we do stand together. And I might just get a student who wants to do their Storybook project in my class on Stonehenge, in which case I have learned some great new things to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment