Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 6: end of week 1... and comments are FINALLY working!!!

Today is Sunday, so it is the end of the first week of class. I've actually managed to do work for the class almost every day (I am a fan of a little bit every day rather than big bursts of work just once or twice a week), so that's good. The course content itself is fascinating; my frustrations with the Janux software are enormous.

I did manage to create a discussion today, sharing my Week 1 Online Resource: Sundials assignment. That will be a good way for me to find out if I net NOTIFICATIONS for comments left at a discussion that I started.

Notifications and activity. So far, I have received no email notifications of any kind, which seems to me a real problem. The Janux software is so unappealing that I am not likely to just browse and see if anybody has replied to me, so a real notification system is badly needed! There is apparently an activity stream for the course, but it is pretty much useless since it just lists everything, rather than separating out activity in general from actual notifications. I see that I can filter my stream by contacts, so I guess one of my tasks today is to add to my contacts in order to filter my stream.

Commenting. But my first task is to figure out if I have better luck with Chrome for leaving comments. I learned yesterday that I apparently have to use Firefox to view the videos, but I got an error message when trying to leave a comment. So, today I am going to use Chrome and see what kind of luck I have leaving comments for people. So, I am off to try this task. I will report back after I am done.

OMG: AT LAST!

The software actually seems to be working - no error messages, no disappearing reply boxes, no persistent comment texts (all problems I've experienced in the past week every time that I tried to comment).....

I can comment now! Three comments in a row - no error messages.

MIRABILE VISU.

I can finally participate in the class like a normal online student. Whoo-hoo!

Off to go comment some more...

And it's still working. I left a half-dozen comments for the people I found whom I know at the course, and I ran into no glitches. I'm scared to say that too loudly since the Janux gremlins will probably come get me... but so far, so good.

This is the first time I have been able to participate in the class: VERY HAPPY.

No comments:

Post a Comment